.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 11, 2005

UPPER LIP? PLENTY STIFF.
I was wondering if it was ok to follow-up on the London attacks, whether or not it was still too early to be, oh, glib for lack of a better term (thanks Tom). Then I realized that Gawker, those insensitive bastards, didn't even wait a few hours to be glib. So I've decided it's ok to move forward. After all, if I don't keep blogging the terrorists win, don't they?

Reactions to the strikes were mixed. Most were horrified, as they should be. Some we're callous, which we'll get to. And others were opportunisitic, which we'll also get to. But the best reaction, by far, was by the Britons themselves. Absolutely resolute. Determined. Tough. Very stiff upper lippy. Kudos to you all. Just don't let Tony Blair talk you into invading Syria or something...

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

But as I was saying, some people are assholes. Namely Americans. No, wait, that's not fair. Americans are kind, it's our news people who suck. How about we start with FOX News, where a virtual cornucopia of asshole behavior was on display Thursday. First, there was Brit Hume, who revealed that his first thought after hearing of the attacks was, well, to profit from them. "My first thought when I heard -- just on a personal basis, when I heard there had been this attack and I saw the futures this morning, which were really in the tank, I thought, "Hmmm, time to buy." He's so a Republican.

Then there was the morning 'FOX & Friends' crew, where they only cater to "regular" people. You know, non-Arabs: "These people are, if necessary, prepared to spill Arab blood in addition to the blood of regular -- of non-Arab people living in London." But you can't say the 'Friends' don't always look for the positive. Host Brian Kilmeade expressed his belief that the timing of the attacks "works to our advantage." Nice. And lastly there's anchor John Gibson, who apparently doesn't care much for France: "If they had picked France instead of London to hold the Olympics, it would have been the one time we could look forward to where we didn't worry about terrorism. They'd blow up Paris, and who cares?" Qu'un connard.

The best media reaction? Maxim UK Editor Greg Gutfeld, who faithfully blogged away in the midst of all the chaos:


"I am back at my desk... i am drinking Cobra extra smooth premium doubled filtered lager. It’s from India. I was going to go to the gym, but now i’m not. life’s too short and i am drunk. fuck the gym. the thing about terrorism is, it’s another reason not to go to the gym. I might not even shower - screw those bastards." (more)
I think Maxim girl Carmen Electra may have been with good 'ol Gutfeld last Thursday. At least I hope she was.

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

There, don't you feel better now? Don't worry, we'll get through this together. We've got Carmen.

MORE
FOX: They Report. Badly.
Nation: Conservatives Can't Fathom British Resolve
Kos: Remember This?
Wonkette: How is HE Always There?
The Biggest Jackass? Someone named Omarion.
But no, even Omarion isn't a bigger jackass than
this guy.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?