.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 28, 2006

GUESS I KNOW WHERE I GOT IT FROM
This came, out of nowhere, from my Dad today. He's mad.

I’m Mad!

In 1973 I sat in block long lines to get gasoline for my 1967 Fiat 850 coupe. I sat next to gas guzzling 1960 versions of today’s SUV. As a nation we came together and said never again. Never again would we put ourselves into the position of being blackmailed by oil. We set standards for fuel efficiency for auto manufacturers at 27.5 mpg. We dropped the speed limit to 55 mph. We appointed an Energy Czar. We went to year-round daylight savings.

33 years later – 7 presidents ago – how are we doing?

I’m Mad!

We never even got close to forcing mpg on the auto manufacturers. In fact, they somehow were able to exempt larger trucks, which turned into SUVs, from any standard. The speed limit is back. No one is in charge of energy.

Why not? Who is to blame? The government? The oil producing nations? The oil companies? I don’t think so.

We’re to blame! For not holding our elected officials accountable for the shortsighted, look the other way implementation of policies that would have weaned us off our dependence on oil, made us a stronger country and spared the ravaging of our environment.

Look at that truck next to you during rush hour. You know, the one that sits so high you can only see the transmission. How did we let that happen? People shouldn’t be able to buy such a monstrosity.

I’m Mad and I don’t know what to do. Do you?

Ok, my dad's pissed -- these guys are toast. And he's not only pissed, he's right. If I see one more goddam Hummer on the streets, I'm gonna go all Cheney and shoot someone in the face, I swear.*

Hey, if we're gonna go after all the big fat gas guzzling pigs, can we start with this one?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting ** thank you Free W'burg**
House Speaker and Huge Guzzlepig Dennis Hastert of Ill., center, gets out of a Hydrogen Alternative Fueled automobile, left, as he prepares to board his SUV, which uses gasoline, after holding a news conference at a local gas station in Washington, Thursday, April 27, 2006 to discuss the recent rise in gas prices. Hastert and other members of Congress drove off in the Hydrogen-Fueled cars only to switch to their official cars to drive the few blocks back to the U.S. Capitol. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
'Ahhhhhh man, I am so wasted on this stuff. Good shit, isn't it Denny?'

Who's up for a march?

*That was satire. I promise not to actually shoot someone in the face.

Comments:
That last picture is fantastic. Where'd you find that? Hey, is your Dad single? He's my kinda guy! Oooops, I forgot, I am married! Seriously, when folks start blurting out stuff against the shrub thatwe don't expect, well it is a good thing.
 
Would that be the same Fiat that you weren't supposed to be driving - and ended up wrecking?! ;o)

Good one from your dad. Suffice to say, my dad will never go against the party line...

Cheers,
Cristina
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?