.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, December 13, 2004

BYE, BYE BERNIE

Damn, I didn't even have time to rip this guy a new one. I was going to wait for his confirmation hearings to begin before I detailed all the reasons I didn't think this guy was fit for the post, but former NYPD chief and Bush Homeland Security Director nominee Bernard Kerik called it quits on Friday night. Not included among the many reasons I had planned to detail was the one reason given for Bernie's bow out: a nanny problem. Yeah sure, that's why he's not taking the post, his nanny. And if you believe that, I've got some Iraqi WMDs to sell you. I don't suppose Bernie's sudden reversal has anything to do with... oh, let's start a list:
But yeah, I'm sure it was all about the nanny. Sheesh. Seriously, there's no better example of how poor the judgment in the Bush White House is than Bernie's appointment. These were not deep, dark secrets, these skeletons were well known within the New York law enforcement and journalistic communities. It's not like the Bush team had to dig very hard to find this stuff out. But still, despite the trail of scandal that followed the guy, Bush must've thought Bernie was a real kick-ass guy to have in the White House with him. I can hear it now: "He looks like a Soprano! He was practically Serpico! He knows judo! His mother was a whore! Hire this frickin' guy!!" Yep, nice pick Dubya.

Congress better vet the shit out these other nominees... yeah, right, who am I kidding??

MORE
Newsday's Ellis Henican's early warning. And his "Told You So" column
NYDN: Bernie Bows Out
Newsweek: Why Did Bernie Bow Out? and A Tough Guy Tumbles
Village Voice:
Saint Bernard

RELATED
Low Culture's Soft-Focus Parade of Bush Cabinet Nominations
DAYS: Bush Introduces His New Cabinet

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?